If you only remember one thing from all of the Crossroads Career ministry resources, it is…
Value #2: “Hear and follow God’s calling”
Most of us evaluate the importance of a message by who the messenger is. In the case of our ministry’s founding verse, the Speaker was actually God our Father Himself…
“Thus says the Lord,
‘Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths,
ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls …”
Jeremiah 6:16 (NIV)
Several key messages emerge from this one verse:
- What is a crossroads? According to Merriam Webster, the definition can include either:
- The place of intersection of two or more roads
- A small community located at such a crossroads or central meeting place
- A crucial point especially where a decision must be made
- For us, all three meanings are important. An intersection of roads means different paths on your journey through life. Crossroads Career Network is a relatively small community that offers help to everyone to find jobs, careers and God’s calling. For each person we serve at their crossroads, it is a crucial point of decision.
- Notice several imperative verbs … stand, look, ask and walk. Very directive, and the opposite of what most of us want to do when at a crossroads. We want to run away or run through crossroads.
- Notice the progression of actions:
- Stand at the crossroads which suggests that we be still.
- Look not only at the crossroads, but also around the crossroads and to the Lord.
- Ask for the ancient, hidden and eternal paths which the Lord can reveal.
- Ask for the good, pleasant and agreeable way.
- Walk in what see and hear from the Lord.
- Find rest for our souls – minds, wills and emotions.
The great need and opportunity for each of us is to hear and follow God’s calling – every step of the way!