John Freeze is the newly appointed Executive Director for Crossroads Career Services and Network. Today is his first day on the job.
The Back Story
During 2014 it became evident that Crossroads Career Network required full-time paid leadership to meet needs and opportunities. In our January 2015 CCNewsletter, the Crossroads Career Board of Directors announced plans to seek an executive director.
CCN member pastors, leaders and teams were asked for recommendations. Twelve potential candidates were considered. By April, after lots of homework, careful consideration and much prayer, one candidate appeared to be the right fit. Rather than hire him on the spot, we put him on the spot.
While continuing in his full-time commitment as director of business consulting of a technology company, John was hired as a consultant to analyze all things Crossroads Career and make recommendations to “Roll Out” the ministry. John produced a 25-page report, a ten-slide power point and presented to the Board.
Everyone was impressed with the man and his plan. It seemed as if he had been called to lead the ministry long before we even launched our search. For more background, here is his brief bio.
What a Team!
At the end of May, key leaders of the Board and John met for a weekend retreat of prayer, planning and fellowship. John’s calling was reaffirmed. We talked through overall leadership roles and responsibilities. Here is the line-up from left to right:
- Dave Sparkman, new chairman of Crossroads Career Services, a ten-year volunteer career ministry leader of Grace Church near Minneapolis and SVP of Culture for United Healthcare Group.
- Brain Ray continuing as Crossroads Career Services board member and founder. He will focus on providing advice, counsel and referrals, as well as writing and speaking in support of John and the ministry.
- Tim Krauss, former volunteer CCN CEO responsible for Stepping Up the ministry website, resources, processes and capacity. Tim continues as Crossroads Career Services board member and owner of CCN’s technology partner, NeedsMet.
- John Freeze, new executive director of Crossroads Career Services and Network. He will report to the Board and will lead our services team – Cory Santiago for member services and Judy Lawrence for finance.
Thanks to all who helped
- Marilyn Carpenter, one of the career ministry leaders at Calvary Church in Charlotte, NC and high tech business development officer, who recommended John.
- Jerry Barbian, longtime career ministry leader and owner of JB Search Associates in Houston, TX, who helped develop job specs, evaluate candidates and provide counsel.
- Betsy McCall, one of the original founders of Crossroads Career Services and owner of the Reisa Group in Atlanta, GA, who referenced and provided background on John.
- Kristin Sherry, owner of Virtus Career Consulting and one of the career ministry leaders at Transformation Church in Indian Land, SC, who also helped to evaluate the job and John through assessments and counsel.
- Members of the Board of Directors who shoulder ultimate responsibility for selecting John: Dave Sparkman, Tim Krauss, Brett Andrews and myself.
Thanks be to God our Father and our Lord Jesus Christ. As much as we can tell, this is the way we are to walk. We pray for our continuing to hear and follow God’s calling through the various crossroads God places before us.
This is what the Lord says:
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths,
ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls…”
Jeremiah 6:16 NIV
Please welcome John Freeze at John@CrossroadsCareer.org